I am a big supporter of 'breast is best' and I have always breastfed my babies. As soon as they are born I put them to my breast for as much time as possible so they can benefit from the colostrum and so it helps to trigger an abundant supply of milk. My last baby was on my breast most of the time for the first day or two after she was born and only really left my breast to have a cuddle with her Dad or to have her diaper (nappy) changed.
In the early days and weeks I try to breastfeed them as much as possible during the day. Usually this means breastfeeding every two and a half hours or so (from the time I start start one breastfeed until the time I start another), for as long as the baby likes. I have always thought that it's like 'filling up the tank', preparing them for a long stretch of night time sleeping.
This might seem like a long time to spend feeding, but I think the benefits of an unbroken night sleep outweigh the drawbacks of commiting yourself to so much time breastfeeding. Besides, I have always found it quite relaxing. It helps a lot with bonding and it's a good reason to just chill out and enjoy precious time with your new arrival. I also feel that all that feeding and closeness to Mom helps to make baby feel satisfied and secure, and a contented baby is probably more inclined to sleep well.
It might be worth mentioning here that it's important for Mom to eat a good diet and be well nourished in order to produce an abundant supply of high quality milk. Don't forget to look after yourself! The baby's health and wellbeing is dependent on your own.
I do realise and respect the fact that there are many women who, for various reasons, choose not to breastfeed their babies, but unfortunately I don't know anything about bottle feeding in order to offer advice. I have been through many different issues with breastfeeding though, so if anyone has any questions or concerns on this topic please feel free to email me. I will be happy to help if I can!
Thursday, August 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment