After the baby has enjoyed a nice, long feed, we place a wrap around her just before settling her into the crib. In warm weather, we use a light, fine knit, cotton wrap. In cool weather, we use a warmer, thicker cotton one.
Again, it is essential to be mindful of the temperature as it is dangerous to overheat a baby. The idea is to keep the baby warm, not hot.
I have always thought that the feeling of being encased in a snug-fitting wrap helps to make baby feel cosy and secure. We always wrap it under the baby's arms, covering the baby's torso and legs, with the over-lap under the baby's back. I know many people place the wrap over the baby's arms, to prevent the baby waking herself from a startle reflex. I am sure this works well, however I have never felt comfortable restricting our babies movement to such an extent.
We usually have the wrap already laid out in the crib, so we simply have to lay the baby on it and wrap it around, without too much movement. We then pull the up sheets (and blankets if it is cold) to just below her chin and tuck them in securely on either side of the mattress.
After a peaceful, warm bath, a relaxing massage, a long feed and tucked into layers of snug, secure warmth, who wouldn't feel sleepy?!
We then quietly turn out the light and all go to sleep.
Saturday, September 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment